Friday, July 12, 2013

Review of Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer



Hi sweeties! I hope your week has been wonderfully sweet! I’ve spent mine deciding which product I was going to feature in my first ever product review. I’ve been trying out lots of new products lately and so far have had some great finds and some great duds and I’m happy to say that my test of Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer stick passed my test! What did I put this poor lip shimmer through you ask? Well, first of all, I did an ingredient review using the Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep Cosmetic Database. I checked each and every ingredient listed in their database to read about the possible health concerns that the ingredients may have had. (I’ve posted my review of each ingredient below). The EWG Skin Deep Database rates each ingredient on a scale of 0-10 with 0 being the lowest risk to 10 being the highest risk. It also provides how much data is available for each ingredient, which can really help you decide if you want to stick with a particular ingredient or product.



So let’s talk about my criteria. Now coming from someone who has had cancer and is in the process of ensuring that it doesn’t come back, I have REALLY high standards. I’m not about to use anything on my face or body that is going to put me at risk and I don’t recommend that you do either. Luckily for me (and for Burt’s Bees, frankly), their Lip Shimmer passed my test. Here’s why:

All of their ingredients scored a three or below (and I don’t use anything 4 or higher

It’s cruelty free (not tested on animals)

It’s recyclable

It’s made in the US


And let’s not forget that it’s actually a great lip shimmer! I tested the “rhubarb” shade and it gives your lips a nice rich color, with a tiny bit of sheen (hence the “shimmer”). Now, it’s not a lip stain, so you do have to reapply after a few hours, but I’m okay with that. There are also a lot of different shades that you can try out, so I was really pleased to finally have found a suitable replacement for all of my awesome, yet packed full of carcinogens, lip stains and lipsticks. Here’s a pic pre and post lip shimmer. What do you think?


Do you all have any recommendations for lipsticks/stains/gloss? I’d love to hear them! Stay sweet and stay tuned for my next review!!


Ingredient
Rating
Research Amount on Data
Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil
2
Fair
Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil
0
Fair

Beeswax
0
Limited
Euphorbia Cerifera Wax
0
Limited
Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil
1
Limited
Lanolin
1
Limited
Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter
0
Limited
Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax
0
Limited
Butyrosperum Parkii (Shea Butter)
0
Limited
Fragaria Ananassa (Strawberry) Seed Oil
0
Limited
Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil
0
Limited
Ribes Nigrum (Blackcurrant) Seed Oil
0
Limited
Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract
0
Limited
Sambucus Nigra (Elderberry) Seed Oil
0
The oil did not have any data. However, the extract had limited data with “0” rating.
Tocopherol
1
Fair
Canola Oil
1
Limited
Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil
0
Fair
+/-


Mica
2
Fair
Iron Oxides
2
Fair
Carmine
1
Fair
Alumina
2
Fair
Titanium Dioxide
1-3 (Depends on usage) Higher rate for aerosols
Fair

 


No comments:

Post a Comment